A Little Bit Of This, A Little Bit Of That...
The dance with the frog continues on the Tivoli tank-top. I forgot one trip to the pond when listing them in the last post. I started out doing the raglan increases with M1 (picking up the strand on either side of the "seam" stitch and twisting it into a new stitch. After a few rows, I decided that I didn't like the way it looked in this heavier than usual yarn, so I went back and reworked the increases by knitting in front & back of the seam stitch and the stitch before it. I'm almost to the point where I want to slip half the stitches onto another circular and try the top on before going any further.
The fair isle pattern on the first sleeve of the yellow raglan was completed Thursday night while watching the Pistons run roughshod over the Spurs - the two home games this week have partly made up for their abysmal showing in San Antonio for the first two games. I'm not normally into sports although I'm considered the family jock because I can at least recognize which ball goes with which game, something that DH could care less about. Still when the Pistons or the Tigers make the playoffs, I find myself sitting in front of the TV - it's good knitting time, right?? As for the sleeve, I'm afraid that it may be a bit long. Right now, it's right on track from the underarm - Matthew measures 15" from underarm (where he's ticklish) to wrist and the sleeve as I'm getting ready to start the ribbing is 13". But the secondary measurement from center back to wrist is 21" and I'm already there. I was planning on a 4" cuff - 2" to the wrist & 2" to roll back so the sweater can grow with him, but the extra width of the body may mean that the sleeves will blouse more than I'd like. No way to just try it on or even hold it up because I'm in Michigan and he's in California. I guess I'll just keep going and figure that he'll eventually grow into it - at 6 he's only a foot shorter than I am!
The other project claiming my attention is yet another button-hole bag (this one will be #6 if I count the one I gave away) using recycled wool from two sweaters. The black yarn is a chunky or bulky so I'm using two strands of the worsted weight beige to equal it. This one is going to get a longer strap than the purple & green one in last Saturday's post, and it's going to be about the same width, but shorter than the large grey one from last month (May 18th post). So far I like the way that the beige & black are working together. One of the nice things about working these bags in the round is that they soon begin to form their own project bag while still on the needles - all three balls of yarn that I'm using are inside the bag.
I picked up two more wool sweaters at garage sales this week - a cream pullover with some cranberry & gold striping and a reddish rust hooded pullover with a multi-colored circular yoke. The cream one was 50¢ and the rust one was $1.50. The recycling process takes time and effort, but I continue to be amazed at how much yarn I'm getting in return for very few dollars.