Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Happy Dance!!!

I'm doing a Happy Dance this morning! I finished the outside lace edging on the Highland Triangle Shawl last night and it's wrapped around my shoulders as I'm typing..



Unblocked, the shawl is 75" from point to point and about 34" from the upper edge to the lower point. This is about the right size for me, so I'm not sure if I'll block it or not. I omitted the last set of row repeats in the inner border because I was running out of yarn and I was able to finish the lace edging with about 1/3rd of a skein left. It's stretching almost from the headboard to the foot of our queen sized bed and since I can't block it here (pins and a waterbed do NOT mix!), I don't think that borrowing Mom's spare bed for blocking would work as it's only a regular size.



I'm not sure if I like the way that the inner border tends to curve out. With an increase every other row, I think I expected it to continue the straight line of the top of the shawl. Blocking might solve this, but refer to the problem above. Right now I'm telling myself that it has a shape like the Farose Shawls even if it isn't one for real.




It took almost 10 skeins of KnitPicks Wool of the Andes (110 yards per skein) on size 10½ needles. I started it in mid-February, but have been working on other projects for our K4 group and a *third* pair of Fuzzy Feet for DH in the meantime.

Next up - the Adamas Shawl from KnitPicks in their Shadow lace weight in the Lost Lake colorway. Or maybe I'll finish the two garter stitch K4 shawls I have on the needles and work on the rag-tag afghan I'm making for the group. I also need to pull out my cotton yarn and get started on more washcloths for Cloths For Crisis. Many of our group have set a goal of knitting one cloth a week so that we have a supply ready should the coming hurricane season be as destructive as last year's Katrina & Rita.

6 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

OH. OH. Oh. Oh. HTS she's lovely she is she is....(And SO IS THAT QUILT!) (I know you made that, too! It's stunning!)
Block or not. If she suits you, then don't. I agree sticking pins in H20 beds makes for unhappy sleeping! lolol
Wow. I'm soooo jealous. I'm just starting that second lace pattern. And too many bags to make to knit!
Thank you, btw, for YOUR plug for C4C group as well...(and just generally being such a good pal to me!)
((((hugs))))

11:50 AM  
Blogger Kary said...

Very VERY pretty Jane! What a fantastic job. N~joY!!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

What a great job. Now, I am thinking I should be making this shawl instead of the laceweight one I am plodding away on.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Lorette said...

You did a great job! Beautiful!

1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful shawl, Jane! I do love it.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Beautiful job, Jane! It looks so nice and cosy.

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a