Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Still More Hats

Here, finally is a photo of the hats I turned in last Thursday.



They're sort of squashed together because I was in a hurry to get the picture taken before I left for the Senior Center. The scarf in the upper left corner was made by Helen, one of my knit/crochet class students. I made a plain hat with ecru stripes to match her crocheted scarf. The one next to it is a set I made (my only scarf that week) using turquoise yarn and Maritime Rainbow Dreams. The fuschia scarf on the right was difficult to match as none of the yarn in the group's stash came anywhere close, but I did find a variegated with the same shade of fuschia and matched it with a lavender. In the second row left is another of Helen's crocheted scarves in a variegated blues & cranberry. I had part of a left over skein that let me match the hat to it. The other hats are made to match various scarves that others made and had dropped off. I apologize for not being able to match the scarves with the makers, but they've been in the bins for a while.

This week's projects have been similar, making hats to coordinate with scarves and plus a few sets of my own. We've been packing up sets to be picked up by volunteers from FISH which will distribute the hats locally. All these various colored projects have left me with a LOT of small balls of yarn that after the holidays will start to become more rag-tag afghans as soon as I have them sorted into color families.

One of these days, I need to work on a few of my own projects but knowing that the need for warm charity items is more than ever in this area that's been so hard hit by layoffs makes me feel that it's selfish to take time away from the projects that will, hopefully, make a difference for others..

1 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

I understand your concern for your neighbors, and marvel at the volume of knitting you do for charity. By the same token, it's so easy to say "everyone else before me," and it's not really healthy - we have to do for ourselves once in awhile, or we'll use ourselves up and won't have anything left to give! So a little "me-knitting" is a good thing!
(Just a gentle nudge, pal)
(((hugs)))

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a