Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Turkey Day Come & Gone

I've been busy the last couple days. Thanksgiving dinner was a success and we have lots of leftovers so I won't have to cook much for the next few days other than maybe mix up another batch of instant mashed potatoes. The fruited cheese salad (recipe in the last post) evaporated as usual. That's one of the reasons that I only make it for special holidays - it's too good to leave alone {g}

I've also been knitting & crocheting a lot with six sets plus the hat for a seventh finished and 5 days to go until the next K4 meeting. These first three were made with a solid color scarf and the same solid plus a standard type variegated yarn for the hats.




The second set of three are the same except that I used Rainbow Dreams for the variegated "windows" in the hats. The hot pink set uses the Rosy Forecast colorway and the turquoise & orangy gold sets use the Maritime colorway. It was interesting to see how the different solids brought out different shades of the Maritime. It appears mainly blue in the turquoise hat while the gold solid brings out the greens & golds in it.



The scarf isn't finished for this pale pink set using Rosy Forecast as the contrasting variegated.



These sets are fun to do, plus they make up quickly. It usually takes less that five hours to both knit the hat and crochet the scarf. Some of them are the regular sized pattern with 66 stitches while I made others more child sized by using 60 stitches and only 4 repeats of the "windows". The scarves are worked in double crochet with a size K hook and are between 44" and 50" long. Widths vary from 7 to 8 rows depending on how much yarn I had of the solid after making the hat.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They must be fun and fast - you've done lots of them! Nice work.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Wow! Flying Needles!
(((hugs)))

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a