Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Cover Your Head

I just joined another KAL - the Cover Your Head KAL hosted by Adelle. The button is over there at the top of the current KAL list on the left (scroll down a little). Sallee of Knitnana & Nana Sadie Rose fame told me about it and given the number of hats I've been knitting for our K4 group, it seemed a natural.

Speaking of hats, I've finished two more plus one scarf and I'm within about 8 rows of finishing the second scarf. With a lot of the show I like having their season premiers this week, I've been having lots of time to sit and knit. Reading has been going a bit slower however as I started the book I'm reading now three days ago and I'm barely half way through. I read a paragraph or two during commercials, so I'll get there eventually.

The garden is on it's last legs. All the rain we had a week or two ago was too much for the tomatoes and the ones that were still on the vines split because of the excess water. The deer nibbling the tops of the plants means that the late blossoms were eaten so while there was a wonderful harvest for about three weeks, all that's left besides the occasional grape tomato hiding in the grass are the ones finishing ripening in baskets in the kitchen. Between my plants and Mom's, we were able to can nine pints of stewed tomatoes for her for the winter and I finally learned how to can, something I haven't attempted since I helped as a child. I picked what will probably be the last of the basil yesterday. If we don't get frost soon, it may regrow some but I'm not betting on it. I still haven't tried using the Thai basil but once the container of regular basil is turned into pesto, I may try making some from the Thai variety and freezing it to use in stir-fries this winter.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Yes, winter is reaching through with its tendrils of icy cold and my herbs came in last night for fear of freezing.

You are so good and giving. I wish I had the time to do more then a few charity swaps a year.

Glad you found another KAL to challenge you.

Ruinwen
:)

5:52 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

I just love it when I "enable" you into another group! However, I suspect you'll outknit me and run circles around me on this KAL!
(((hugs)))

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our garden has about had it too. It looks terrible, but it's still producing decent produce, so I'm letting it limp along.

Hope your mother is doing better.

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a