Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Monday, July 10, 2006

It's Been A While

I'm not sure where the days go, but I suddenly realized over the weekend that it had been a while since I posted here last. At that time, I didn't have much of anything to show as I've been spending more time on my genealogy projects than I have knitting. But today, I finished a couple projects and I'm well on my way to being half way done with a scarf I started this afternoon - you've got to love BIG needles!



This set has a hat worked on size 11 needles (60 stitches) in Jiffy yarn using the Quaker stitch pattern of K 3 rows, P 3 rows. The scarf is plain garter stitch with the leftover variegated yarn forming the ends. Because the plain brown yarn is a lighter weight - worsted vs. chunky - I cast on 14 stitches to start and then increased 2 stitches across the row when I changed to the brown and decreased 2 stitches on the other end when I switched back to the Jiffy.



I made the hat for this set slightly smaller as I didn't have a full skein of the Jiffy - 56 stitches on a size 11 needle. The plain yarn in the scarf is about the same weight as the Jiffy so I didn't need to add stitches to keep the width the same.

I also have a crocheted scarf in process - approximately 250 or 260 stitches end to end with a size K hook and I'm changing colors similar to the way I do with the Rag-Tag afghans. I think I may have been a little over zealous with my beginning chain as I think the scarf is going to be well over 8' long. I'll post a photo when it's complete.

On other subjects, the garden is doing well despite having deer nibble off about five of the tomato plants and pull two more completely out of the ground about a week after I planted them. The nibbled ones are, with one exception, recovering nicely by sending up new stems. Last week something - maybe deer again? - ate off 9/10ths of my row of green beans which was something of a disappointment. The last time I saw beans eaten that way with just the stems left was 20 years ago at a different house that had a resident ground hog. I'm really hoping that one hasn't moved in here! Now if the beans would just recover the way that the weeds I hoe out one day and find growing again the next do, but I know that's too much to hope for. Time now to get back to my genealogy project - a concerted effort to find Great-great grandfather Daniel Dorrance Dunham, b. in NY state in 1813. My man of mystery as I'm no closer to finding him than I was eight years ago when I started researching my family tree.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Soooo pretty...but I take exception to the "ya gotta love big needles" comment! My hands have discovered that smaller needles don't hurt my hands so much! (never thought I'd live to say that...)
Good luck with the garden - mine's doing pretty well, for a balcony garden...
(((hugs)))

3:26 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Hi Jane,
I'm doing the Amazing Lace Pit Stop, and yours is the first name under mine, most likely because we are both Janes! I enjoyed reading your blog and seeing all of your scarves, and especially your lace project. I'm sure it will be beautiful when it is finished.
Good luck in the next challenge!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

There aren't all that many of us "Jane"s out here. It's an old fashioned name as I run into a lot of women with it when I'm transcribing genealogy records from the 1800s and earlier. My poor lace project is languishing - I really need to pay it more attention. Just ask Sallee {g}

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the way that yarn swirls on the hat!

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a