Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

A Sampling of Samplers

Knitting is rather dull lately. The Adamas is progressing slowly - very slowly - and otherwise all I've been working on are garter stitch shawls for the K4 group. The colors of the Homespun yarns are pretty, but let's face it - a garter stitch scarf is pretty dull to both work & view, so I'll relieve you of the responsibility to even attempt to oooh & ahhh over even one.

Instead, I'll dive back into the dim dark past and pull out some of the antique reproduction samplers I worked on years ago. I pulled these out over the weekend so I could get measurements and maybe find some frames to match at garage sales. As long as I had them out, I thought I'd take some pictures. I know that I should have pressed them first as they've been tucked away in a drawer and the folds are apparent, but I was in a hurry. So with no further ado, may I present the one I affectionately call "The Bedsheet Sampler". The design area is 24" x 21" and working it felt like I was wrestling with a bedsheet. Still, I think it's one of my favorites.



It's "signed" by Lucy Ann Redd, b. 1797 and is covered with family names & initials including Temple & Taylor. One verse to the middle right reads "If I am right thy grace impart - Stil (sic) in the right to stay - If I am wrong oh! teach my heart - To find that better way." The word "Stil" is misspelled, "impart" goes through the right border & "my heart" is raised above it's line to fit in. I think touches like those are the reasons that I find the reproduction samplers so much fun.

The Lizzie Chirnside sampler, worked in May 1833, is much more simple. It's 11" x 10" and worked with a limited number of colors on linen toweling. My Grand-aunt had many yards of linen with the red stripes on either side designed for making dishtowels & I've been using it (with the stripes cut off) for samplers that fit with it's more rustic look.



At this point, Blogger seems reluctant to let me upload anymore photographs, so I'll continue this at a later date.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

So pretty! That really took a lot of work!

Ruinwen
:)

5:42 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Ooohhh....now you've done it! I've pulled out my sampler patterns. I won't start, even tho' I'm drooling over yours - they're just "plain" gorgeous! But I think I might put one on my list of things to do eventually! And yes, the darn things are tough to find frames for! Good luck with that...
(((hugs)))

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a