Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Pitiful, Isn't It??

Here is my opening salvo for the Amazing Lace Challenge for Summer 2006. I've been to this point, six rows into the pattern & ready to start chart 1, twice before. Each time, I faltered and wound the yarn back onto the ball.



My team mates here are 1) the Adamas Shawl pattern from KnitPicks which has been translated from the charts into the type of pattern I can deal with - K2TOGs, SSKs, & YOs. That's the sheet on the right. The other page is a check list where I can mark off each row as I compete it. 2) Two 440 yard skeins of KnitPick's Shadow in Lost Lake. It's beautiful yarn, but why the heck didn't someone warn me that lace weight yarn is thinner than #10 crochet cotton?? Sallee!!! I tend to multi-task while I'm knitting and while I realized that reading while working the actual odd numbered lace rows would be next to impossible, I (wrongly) assumed that I could cruise on the even numbered rows which are all purl except for two knit stitches at the beginning and end. Wow, was I optimistic! This yarn is so thin that I can't feel it on the needles, so I have to watch every stitch on every row. 3) My trusty size 5 circulars - a 16" one for now, a 29" one for later. I may move to the 29" one earlier rather than later because I'm discovering that the 16" needle wants to fight to straighten out against this fine yarn in a way that it doesn't against worsted or even sport weight yarn. 4) The odd man out of the team is a ball of Knit-Cro-Sheen that will be used for lifelines - lots of *LIFELINES*. I've dropped a stitch twice now on separate attempts to make it through the first chart and the stitch has rapidly headed for the hills (aka the cast-on row). The next time you see the project, there may be numerous lifelines in place - it's either that or you might be greeted with a photo of me with my hair all pulled out. I haven't passed row 13 of the 1st chart yet, so I can imagine my reaction if somewhere around the 4th repeat a stitch ran-away and made it back to the beginning. Not pictured is team mate #5 - a 5 liter box of Sunset Blush wine for those evenings when knitting lace exceeds my patience and skill.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

OH, it's all MY fault? lololol! Love the post, I'm still ROFLOL!!!
You, the QUEEN of knitting in every group I've been in and you're letting teensy weensy ol' laceweight scare you??? You WILL overcome! This I know...(even if it takes a few glasses of the blush wine! I KNOW YOU CAN DO THIS!
(((hugs)))
(you really may want to try a 24 inch if you've got one)

8:54 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I agree with Sallee...you never balk at any challenge...I know that you will succeed with the lace weight and be the better for it.

I'm rooting for you!

Ruinwen:)

P.S. That is the same yarn down to the color that my Mother's shawl I'm designing will be knit up in. :)

7:49 PM  
Blogger Lorette said...

That's my girl, getting the wine out early on in the race! You can do this!

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if you do tear all your hair out you could use the strands as lifelines in a pinch. :)

I hope things go more smoothly for you as you adjust to the yarn. I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end!

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a