Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Dancing Socks

This Sassy Stripes yarn is knitting up into a rather bright sock.



I started it last night using the toe that starts with a provisional cast-on into a crocheted chain after which about half an inch of stockinette is worked that becomes the end of the toe. At that point the stitches are taken from the provisional cast on and four are picked up along each half inch edge as the work switches to three needles. This was also the point where I went back to feeling like I did when I first started working with double points years ago - like I was wrestling a hedge-hog! Size 2 needles are sharp and I kept poking myself for a while as I started to increase on the sides. Once I got past the increases, things smoothed out and I really like the way that the toe formed. The size 2 needles make my hands ache so it's working up slowly, but still, I don't feel like this is too bad for one (long) evening's work.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

OH wow. That's working up beautifully! I love the patterning...GREAT JOB!
(((hugs)))

7:19 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

That is looking good, a very nice yarn.

5:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking good! I am a top down sock knitter, but one time I have to try your method! This is the Summer of the Sock for me! Want to knit at least one pair a week, so a toe up pair might just be in the list!

1:44 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

That colorway is really pretty! You are doing a great job!

Ruinwen
:)

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi from Austria! I absolutely love the colorway you're using, just perfectly cheerful for spring! And the pattern is amazing as well - looking forward to seeing the finished sock!

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a