Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Friday, May 12, 2006

Rainy Days & Fridays

It's raining again.. This area received close to 2" Wednesday night and it alternated between sprinkles and downpours most of yesterday. It's raining off & on again today and the WeatherBug forecast has raindrop in it for most of next week. It's only 42° out there and I'm sitting at the computer with a cup of hot tea, my fingerless mitts and my Highland Triangle Shawl keeping my shoulders warm.

Rain, however, does not dampen my DH's love of garage sales so yesterday between showers, we headed out and found some bargains.



The cross-stitch kit is a rather off-beat sampler with a lot of the elements of the antique reproduction ones I enjoy doing, though it is not a reproduction itself. The fabric is 36 count linen, 18.5x19", and it's complete with floss and a collection of small charms (the hangers aren't included). The store tag reads $28.50, but I got it for $1..!!! The spool of yarn is royal blue wool - approximately sport weight - I'm not sure how much there is, but it was 50¢ and I'm sure that there's enough to make a scarf if not a shawl.

On the shawl / lace front, I've joined the Amazing Lace Challenge in an effort to find the motivation to do something about those two skeins of Shadow in Lost Lake and the Adamas shawl pattern that I ordered from KnitPicks last winter. I must admit that I'm a bit daunted by yarn that resembles quilting thread - this stuff is THIN.. This morning, I created a check list in Excel that will let me mark off every row of every repeat so I can work a row or two and still keep track of where I am. I still struggle with working from charts - I'm trying, but I may break down and translate the chart into the written directions that I'm more familiar with. I had to do that with the center section of the Highland Triangle though I was able to follow the charts for the inner border and the lace edging. It will be interesting to see what the challenges will be and if I'll be able to keep up with my limited lace knowledge.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

LOVE that royal blue! Wow! And what fun that you're in Amazing Lace, too! We'll have such fun...You will be able to do Adamas, with whatever adjustments you need to make! Ok...I need to know more about that cross-stitch pattern...specifics, please? Title, designer, manufacturer? And what a deal those yard sale finds were!
(((hugs)))

2:34 PM  
Blogger Knitcrazy said...

Don't you just LOVE those Bargins!!! I look all the time !

Good Luck on your Lacy Project...
I just started a Lacy Baby Dress for the third time... Frogged it twice .. Now I hope I am on the road forward instead of backward :)

http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/

11:03 AM  
Blogger Lorette said...

You can do it! I joined too, though I'm dithering a bit about what I will knit.
You just have to love great bargains!

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a