Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Finally!

Blogger's photo uploading gizzy seems to be working again, so here's the hat and scarf I finished a few days ago and tried unsuccessfully to blog.



I took the vine pattern from the Green Mountain Spinnery Knitting Book - I have Alice Starmore's Fair Isle book here somewhere, but I think that it's hiding again. Last year, our K4 group started out making just hats and then decided that hat & scarf sets would be nice, but coming up with scarves that would match hats that were made from partial skeins (completely used up in the process) was a tad bit difficult. So this year, I'm trying to make sets as I go. Right now I'm working on a lengthwise worsted weight scarf with shades of blue & green and black borders to go with a plain black hat. I'm not quite sure how long it will turn out to be, but I cast on 150 stitches on a size 13 needle. I measured the two Homespun scarves in the last post today - the purple one is 8' and the beige & green one is 9'.. I think I got a little carried away, but we'll see if they're marketable at the Harvest Days in October where they'll hopefully raise money for more worsted weight, machine-washable yarn.

On Monday, a kind soul dropped a couple sacks of partial skeins off at the Senior Center for our group. There were 5 or 6 skeins of cotton yarn in red, white & green that I brought home to use in washcloths for our Cloths For Crisis project. With the 2006 hurricane season having started earlier this month and a forecast of more severe storms this year, we can use every set of hands to build up a supply of cloths that will be available to send immediately should a crisis such as Katrina or Rita hit. Last year we played catch-up as the Cloths For Katrina group formed after the hurricane. This year we want to be ready ahead of time. If you have the time to help, please click on the button over there in the sidebar and join us.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

What a *neat* scarf set! And thanks for bringing Cloths for Crisis to the minds of your readers again! We can use everyone to join us..."Many hands make light work!"
(((hugs)))

6:54 AM  
Blogger JenBin said...

What a great set! Love the colors!!!

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a