Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Friday, June 16, 2006

Progress!!!!!

I'm finally making some progress on the Adamas lace shawl. Here it is in all it's glory at the end of the third repeat of the body chart - 50 rows completed.



And here it is with the lace slightly stretched so that the YOs open up and you can see the pattern a bit better. This one is definitely going to need blocking.



I think I'm finally getting the gist of the pattern so I can look at where I am in a row and recognize that it's either ok or I've made a mistake. You'll notice that I'm down to just 2 lifelines. A few days ago, there were 7 lifelines and I think you could have said that I was a bit paranoid after having to frog the first 13 rows about three times.

If you look closely, you'll see that there is a one stitch column running down through the center of each "flower" and it's leaves (or the small diamond with the heart-shaped pattern below it -- hmm, from this angle, it looks more like an arrow head, doesn't it?). By keeping track of those columns in much the same way as I keep track of the center rib of the feather in the Feather & Fan pattern, I can spot an error within just a few stitches.

You'll also notice in the first photo that the lace yarn is the same diameter as the #10 (Knit-cro-sheen) crochet thread that I'm using as life lines. I think I mentioned earlier that I did not expect the yarn to be that *THIN*!! But I'm slowly getting used to it and the nice points on the vintage Susan Bates nylon circular help.

On larger needles - #15 & #17 - I finished a garter stitch shawl and three Homespun scarves this last week for the K4 project. I'm working on another scarf from the leftovers of Homespun - this one is cast on lengthwise and I'm knitting a couple rows of one color and then a couple rows of another. I'll post a photo when it's done.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Just beautiful! I love the pattern!

You are so talented.

Ruinwen
:)

9:15 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Wow! YEAH!!!! It's gorgeous! I'm so glad you're feeling more confident, seeing the pattern develop and overcoming fear of "laceweight!" lolol
(((hugs)))

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I followed a link from the KAL at KnittingHelp.com to your blog...and you have no idea how happy I was to see that you had to frog the first 13 rows about 3 times...at least now I know I'm not the only one!!! (oh and by the way I really like the color you chose)

10:35 PM  
Blogger Knitcrazy said...

Beautiful Color and Pattern
http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/

4:49 PM  
Blogger ICJ said...

Great lace and very eleagant color! :)

Isabelle 4th name above you on the Amazing Lace side bar list! :)

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a