Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Summer Bounty

Summer has now officially begun!!



This container of basil leaves fresh from the garden was turned into some fabulous pesto by my DH. Now if the tomatoes would start to ripen! The plants are covered with blossoms, especially the grape tomato plants, but it will probably be another couple weeks until we'll be able to pick. The Delectia squash are blooming and the plants are huge - they resemble zucchini plants more than the usual vines on acorn squash - but I don't see any squash forming yet. I hope they hurry up as despite our hot summer weather, frost can come early in the fall.



This is the latest of the lengthwise Homespun scarves that I've made. I love the colors which remind me of the desert & Navajo turquoise jewelry.



For an example of colors I wish I could forget, we have here the rusts, golds & avocado greens of the 70s. Some kind soul donated a whole bag of this variegated yarn to the K4 group. I'm trying to match it with solid color scarves to tone it down a bit - is it working??? The hats are done in Quaker stitch - knit 3 rows, purl 3 rows - on a circular needle and I adapted the decreases in the top to take advantage of the swirling colors of the yarn. Instead of the usual row of K2TOG around, followed by a plain row and another row of K2TOG before gathering the stitches left on the needles, I decreased 11 times around the hat (every 6th stitch on the first row), every other row until I was down to 11 stitches and then gathered them in for the top. The rust scarf is still on the needles and I have a skein of solid gold to make a third scarf plus enough of the variegated for two more hats.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Sorry, hon, not sure ANYTHING will tone down those 70s colors! lololol...weren't they just awful?
But the basil is gorgeous!
(((hugs)))

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right - that Southwest scarf of yours is very like my pillow. :) Great minds think alike, eh?

10:11 PM  
Blogger Obsidian Kitten said...

hey, i knda like those colors! then again, i have a sort of nostalgia thing going on right now, plus i'm rly cheap and tend to give kudos to anyone who manages to do anything with recycled/donated yarn.

i live inthe middle of the mitten (perry, near E. Lansing)--thought i'd say hi! thank god we're not having that west coast heat wave...

5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this basil looks amazing!!! I just made pesto last night but the basil from the store didn't look like this LOL....

Thanks for stopping by Veggies...You have a great looking blog, glad I stopped by too.

Cheers, G

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your basil looks great. I planted some for the first time this year. I read that you need to keep using it so it doesn't go to flower. Well I am always so freaked out about that, that I keep picking a little at a time and I never can get enough to make pesto, lol!

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a