Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Friday, July 21, 2006

More Scarves & Hats



I've been working on some "Rag-Tag" crocheted scarves - a way of using up this bin of tiny balls of leftover yarn while not having to sit under an afghan in the summer heat. Here are the first two which I had planned on matching with plain black knit hats (don't ask what happened to the crocheted hat I tried - it wasn't pretty in more ways than one {g}), but the ladies at K4 yesterday convinced me that the blue & green scarf should have a blue hat and the predominately red one should have a red hat. The ribbing on the blue one is almost finished. I've also been making hat & scarf sets in dark green & white which are the colors of the local high school & the Lake Orion Dragons and more washcloths for Cloths For Crisis (C4C). I mentioned the group on a shawl list the other day and we've had a number of new members sign up to help which is absolutely wonderful..

In the Summer Reading Challenge, I just finished Bess of Harwick - a biography of one of the most powerful women (other than the queen herself) during the reign of Elizabeth I. I'd recommend it highly to anyone interested in Tudor England history. Right now I'm half way though a swash-buckling tale by Clive Cussler which is a complete switch. I think that my tastes in reading could be described as *very* eclectic.

The "reading gene" has passed on to my grandchildren. Both of my Sweet M&Ms love books, so Grandma Jane just sent a 37# box of garage sale finds out to California to keep them busy until school starts again. The Media Mail rate from the USPS is wonderful for shipping books. It's far slower than regular mail - I think the last box took about 10 days to get from MI to CA - but the cost per pound isn't much more than a 1st class stamp on a letter. It was under $15 to ship the box.

On a less happy note, I just discovered deer tracks in the garden and four more tomato plants nibbled.. I've strung jute twine around the garden as I've heard that the deer don't like running into something that they can't see in the dark, but it doesn't seem to be deterring them this year as it has in the past. At least the plants are still there if somewhat shorter, but I'm not happy about providing salad for 4 legged critters.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Great scarves!!! And I don't know what to tell you about the deer - it's an advantage sometimes to live on the second floor of an apartment building - while I don't have a lot of space, not much gets into my balcony garden (except radish worms!)
And thanks for mentioning Cloths for Crisis and getting us more members!!!
lololol
(((hugs)))

11:20 PM  
Blogger ICJ said...

Great scarves! :)

Isabelle 4th name above you on the Amazing Lace side bar list! :)

3:54 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

The scarves look great!

I've got Bess of Hardwick in my TBR list. I had to take a Tudor break for a bit.

No help on the deer - we've got raccoons. Plant an extra one for them?

7:54 PM  
Blogger Obsidian Kitten said...

love the scarves! my grandma is just now teaching me to crochet, & i think i've only just begun to get the hang of the single crochet (after making up a bunch of random weird stitches by never sticking the hook into the right place).

never though of crocheting scarves, tho--so pretty

5:34 AM  
Blogger Obsidian Kitten said...

as for the deer, they began plaguing us early in the gargening season (raspberries and strawberries at first, then beet tops). our three-pronged strategy included (1) tying old aluminum pie pans onto stakes (making noise in the breeze), (2) old bars of deodorant soap hanging in the toes of nylon stockings (strange strong smell) and (3) tins of used kitty litter scattered throughout the planting area. Not sure which of these worked, but they did discourage the deer. (Dirty kitty litter is stinky, but I think that's why it works.)

All virtually cost-free deterrents, just a little extra work. But hey, worth it if the deer don't harvest your bounty for you!

5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a