Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Two Rag-Tag Afghans

Here's what I've been working on in the evenings....



The second Rag-tag Afghan of 2007 with various shades of red ranging from deep cranberry to pink on the ends and whites & creams in the center section. It's amazing how many shades there are of cream and even white. Many of the skeins that are donated to our K4 group are partial ones so the rag-tags are a good way of using up the bits and pieces. They remind me of the saying my Grandmother who went through the depression often used: "Use it up, wear it out. Make do or do without."

Also I have a royal purple garter stitch shawl on the needles and a good start on Rag-tag #3 which will be like this one but with shades of green on the ends.

We've had some very warm weather here in S.E. Michigan - old record highs were broken both Monday & Tuesday when the temperatures climbed into the high 70s - in March! In Michigan! Late Tuesday, a cold front came through along with some pretty powerful thunderstorms. We had a downpour here, but nothing like what hit over by Mt. Clemens where some areas received close to 4" of rain in an hour. People over there are cleaning out their flooded basements and it got me to thinking what would I grab first should the lower level of this tri-level flood. My quilting corner is full of fabric along with a foot deep pile of finished quilts on the bed. I have bins, baskets & bags of yarn down there - partly mine and partly my K4 stash for the rag-tags. Then there are the quilting & knitting books and magazines and even more "stuff" in the crawl space. Some of it could be washed if it got wet in a flood - even full skeins of yarn wash nicely if the label is removed and the skein is placed inside a knee high stocking. So, I expect that I'd first grab the unfinished quilt tops (those don't go through the laundry all that well because the seams fray), then the books & magazines, the finished quilts, and however much fabric & yarn I had time to get upstairs. I'm going to double check to make sure that all my photos are at least on the main level. Watching someone else's heartbreak makes one consider how to avoid it - just in case.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Very pretty Rag-Tag - you need to take the "reduce-reuse-recycle" button from my blog ... right under the bar to subscribe to bloglines....
Moonfrog made it. It's just a reminder to use up fabric, yarn, whatever...(it's NOT a KAL)
(((hugs)))

2:14 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

You're a regular angel for all the charity knitting you do! Hope your mom is doing well.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Another beautiful afghan! I love the bright colors!

:)

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Rag tag looks great! I like the calm white,cream colors with the shocking hot red. It looks great.

Just stopping by from the Knit red Blog.

D

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a