Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

A Few More Shawls

Finally, some sunshine after almost a week of rain, drizzles & grey skies. I finally got the camera charged and took the latest shawls out on the deck.


This is the same *easy* lace pattern as I did a couple weeks ago - YOs combined with right & left decreases to slant the diagonal lines out from the center. The wood on the deck is rough and grabs onto the yarn, so the shawls aren't as perfectly straight as they might be.


This is a close up of the pattern - this side of the center line was YO, K2TOG.


The Old Shale or Feather & Fan pattern - I like the way that the edge scallops from the lace. I think I could almost do this one in my sleep after all the baby afghans I've made with the stitch. This version, however, only has one row of knit on the wrong side rather than the two rows per repeat used on the baby afghan pattern (it's over in the side bar under Free Patterns if anyone is interested).


And the requisite close-up. For the shawl I'm working on right now, I'm doing the Feather & Fan in all stockinette just to see how it turns out.

Addendum: If it appears in the photos above that the purple shawl is smaller than the dusty blue one, that's because it is. Inflation has hit. The new Red Heart & Bernat Super Saver type skeins of acrylic have been downsized from 8 ounces to 7 ounces - a 12½% decrease while the price has gone up slightly. The purple shawl is knit from a 7 ounce skein and I used all but maybe 8 yards of the skein.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

Gee! How many shawls are your turning out in a weeks time? You're a knitting machine!! Hey, what a find of Pieceworks magazines! That's a treasure! I love that magazine.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

I can usually do at least one a week - these are in knitting worsted weight yarn & size 15 needles so they go quickly. Since the regular TV season ended, I haven't been watching TV and crocheting on rag-tags (there's just too much yarn to carry around), so I've been working more on the shawls because they're easy to take along and working the various lace designs is fun and educational..

11:33 PM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Just Gorgeous! And isn't it the case that EVERYTHING is being "downsized" and "UP-priced?" - I heard that cereals are next!
(((hugs)))

11:07 AM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Such lovely shawls! You are amazing! :)

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a