Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Well Pegged..

I ran across this quiz on Donna's Drama - it asks how you pronounce various words and then tells you from which area of the country you come. Talk about spot on!

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Inland North
 

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

The Midland
 
The Northeast
 
Philadelphia
 
The South
 
The West
 
Boston
 
North Central
 
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz


Having lived my entire life in Michigan, surrounded by the Great Lakes, I guess I can't get any more pinpointed than this quiz accomplished. Of course carbonated drinks are pop! A soda is a combination of ice cream & pop - something that never set well with my stomach. And the way we Michiganders speak certainly sounds like the national newscasters on TV - still some of my out of state friends insist that I have an accent. {g}

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unbelievable! I've been in the west for -- what -- almost 15 years now and it pegged me as Inland North. Guess 22 years of Michigan yakkin' doesn't go away. I wonder if this is why my friends think I have an accent? (BTW, after 15 years here, I'm used to "soda" now...)

11:57 PM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Nope. You do not speak the "Kings English," gal. Your accent is obvious to me!

I'm especially struck by your phrasing of "I've been over TO Mom's"
(accent on the "TO" as I can't get the html tags to work on comments!)
:)
(((Hugs)))

8:49 AM  
Blogger Bekah said...

I've been in Northeast Ohio all my life and I always thought I didn't have an accent... until I had a room mate from New York. I think it was the Dawn-Don thing that gave me away!

12:10 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!! Wellllllllllll................to ME, you DO have an accent!!!!!!!! Glad you took the quiz!

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a