Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Thursday, May 03, 2007

R.I.P. - Booking Through Thursday

This week's question:
No, not THAT kind of R.I.P.
Reading. In. Public.
Do you do it? Why or why not?


Sure, though I'm not out in public all that often any more, but when I was working I always had a book in my bag for lunch & breaks. I read in the car while DH is driving. I even K.I.P. - Knit In Public - often at the same time I'm R.I.P.ing.. So many books, so few hours in the day {g}..

On the knitting & crocheting front, with three hours of good t.v. last night (I love sweeps periods), I finished off the latest rag-tag & the latest shawl.


This one is in shades of turquoise with mostly white shades in the center.


It's impossible to get the entire shawl spread out on the desk. This area is about 3x3.5 feet and by folding the shawl, I can get it to barely fit the space.


The lace pattern is called "Falling Leaves" and is super simple - an 8 row repeat with the 4 wrong side rows simply purling across. The four remaining pattern rows are basically two rows that shift slightly over. It was easy to tell exactly where I was in the pattern at all times once the first row was completed. I could get to like this type of lace.


Here's a close up of the pattern. I worked a total of 12 rows because I needed the yarn that was left for the garter stitch border. Another time, I think I would start the pattern earlier. If the Adamas shawl was this easy to keep track of, it might be done by now..


Unfortunately, it's right where it was about a year ago....


Part of the problem might be the size of the needles and the lace weight yarn. Things go much faster with worsted weight & size 15 needles.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Literary Feline said...

I read during my lunch hour and sometimes on breaks (I rarely have time to take them!). I wish I had the patience and coordination to knit or crochet because I think that would be a great pastime to take up, especially during tv moments. :-)

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I'd love to see that--reading and knItting at the same time. I can't walk and chew gum!!

1:12 PM  
Blogger --Deb said...

I CAN read and knit at the same time (as long as it's basic stockinette), but I seldom do because--even while part of my concentration is on the knitting--I read too quickly, and having to stop so often to turn pages is annoying. Not to mention almost impossible to hold the book open without cracking the spine. I do occasionally flip through magazines while knitting, though....

11:26 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Everything is so lovely...esp the Falling Leaves! :)

5:43 AM  
Blogger teabird said...

I wish I could read and knit at the same time - without ruining my knitting!
Is there a pattern for that beautiful shawl?

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a