Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Friday, April 06, 2007

Continually Late

Here it is Friday and I just remembered that I was supposed to check the Booking on Thursday site for this week's questions. They're rather heavy ones this week:

1) Just out of curiosity, as we enter into Passover and Easter season . . . have you ever read the Bible? Just the odd chapter or Psalm? The whole thing? (Or, almost the whole thing? It's some heavy reading, of course, and those "begats" get kind of tedious.)

I'm into genealogy, so I don't find the "begats" all that boring, but, no, I haven't read a lot of the Bible. We had to memorize verses back in Bible School & Sunday School, I think at one time or another I've read through Matthew, Mark, Luke & John. But I draw the line at reading Paul's anti-female nonsense.

2) If so, was it from religious motivation or from a literary perspective? Stuck with nothing else to read in a hotel room the Gideon's have visited? Any combination?

Trying to understand where some of the sermons I was hearing in church were based.

3) If not, why not? Against your religious principles? Too boring? Just not interested? Something you're planning on taking care of when you get marooned on a desert island?

I see the Bible as a book written by men who were trying to understand the world around them - more history than holy. Don't get me wrong, I believe in a higher power and find a lot of good lessons in the four main gospels. I try to live a life that helps others - you might say that every stitch I put into the hats, scarves, shawls & afghans is a mini-prayer that the person who receives it will benefit and be watched over.

4) And while we're on the subject . . . what about the other great religious works out there? Are they more to your liking?

I've read the Tao Te Ching - which is sort of like Christianity without the personalities - everything comes from the Tao, everything returns to the Tao, the Tao that can be encompassed in words is not the Eternal Tao. Maybe it's the same with Christianity - Jesus' love lives in our hearts and actions, not in some sermon.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

On the knitting front, I finished the green rag-tag & the purple shawl and turned everything (3 rag-tags & 3 shawls) in yesterday.



The green rag-tag is more square - wider & shorter - than I usually make, but it should still keep someone warm. I was actually running shy on the creams & off whites for the center section and unable to get into the craft room at the Sr. Center on Monday to pick up more as there was an "Ask A Lawyer" session going on in there.



The color on the shawl came out all wrong - it's royal purple, not magenta.

I have a blue rag-tag and a pale willow green shawl on the hook & the needles right now.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Ah, Better late than never, right?
You obviously believe in doing for others... :)
(((hugs)))

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a