Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Wednesday Wailing

Ok, I don't really have much to wail about - other than the temperatures being in the high 80s already & the price of gas jumping 18ยข a gallon overnight to $3.579 here in the south-east corner of the Mitten. But I was stuck for a title {g}..


I finished another rag-tag afghan last night. This one is another lap sized in black, grey, blues, greens and back to grey & black. I'm slowly whittling down the stock of yarn left over from earlier K4 projects.



I finished this shawl last night too (good night for TV with the NCIS finale & the Tom Selleck movie on CBS). The pattern is Fir Cone from the Folk Shawls book. I think this one would probably work better on a shawl that was being blocked rather than unblockable (unless you want to really KILL it) acrylic, but it is a pretty lace pattern and not too hard to follow (i.e., I didn't have to tink back too often). Looking at the photo, I may have added two more rows than needed in the repeat closest to the border, but it's finished and hopefully the recipient won't mind.



The shawl I finished earlier uses a stitch pattern from the Irish Diamond Shawl in the same book.

Slowly, but surely, I'm trying to work myself up to tackling another full lace shawl from the book. In the meantime, practicing the patterns on these K4 shawls is giving me a bit more confidence after the limited amount I had was shattered when I started the Adamas shawl with lace weight yarn. I have another shawl started in a smoky blue - no idea yet of what pattern I'll use when I get down to the lace section, but I'll find something. I'm seriously considering ordering the Barbara Walker Treasury of Knitting Patterns for more stitch ideas. I keep finding neat patterns on line, but very few of them define the stitch repeat.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

As always everything you make is so lovely. I esp like the blue shawl. :)

9:02 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

BW's 1st Treasury is wonderful. You'll get lots of ideas.

Laceweight isn't for everyone, and the Folk Shawls book has some great ideas, it's still one of my favorite "reads!"
(((hugs)))

10:30 AM  
Blogger AmberCake said...

Thanks for leaving a comment at my blog!

I agree, Barbara Walker's Stitch Treasuries are really worth it, very well written and well organized.

Also wanted to say that I love your "Rag-tag" afghans. I don't always like crochet (though I sometimes do it), but your lap afghans seem to be a really great use of it, and the colors and the layout are really great.

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a