Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Thursday, May 17, 2007

It's Thursday Again

And that means that it's time for Booking Through Thursday.. This week's question is an easy one:

"It happens even to the best readers from time to time… you close the cover on the book you’re reading and discover, to your horror, that there’s nothing else to read. Either there’s nothing in the house, or nothing you’re in the mood for. Just, nothing that “clicks.” What do you do?? How do you get the reading wheels turning again?"

I head for the library! It's a rare visit that leaves me without anything to read. Sometimes it may be just one or two books to tide me over to another visit when the choices may be a little better, but I can't remember even once walking out empty handed when I went there looking instead of just dropping off a book that was due. Even those times, I normally find time to wander past the "New Books" area where something will jump out and grab my attention. The library has just installed book holders on the end of each stack as they face the main room and the staff places up to 6 books from that area where it's easy to notice them. I've found a couple new authors this way that I might not have found otherwise.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Literary Feline said...

With so many books in my own TBR collection, I don't like to go to the library. I feel like I'm cheating on my own books. LOL Someday I hope to be a library patron again . . .

3:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jane :) I feel the same way you do at the end of the month when I've read everything I have. I have books delivered to me from the library first Thursday of every month and I request books online taking your very helpful suggestions.

Have you read anything by John Sandford? He's written a lot of Prey books - Mortal Prey, Naked Prey etc. I had read just about all of them but just finished his newest one - The Hanged Man's Song. They're all excellent...love his characters.

I also like most of Michael Connelly's books and Sarah Paretsky is another one of my favourite authors.

I share your love of Linda Fairstein's books as well.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

The "Prey" books sound familiar so I may have read at least one (but not since I started keeping a list). I'll look at the library for Sandford next time I'm there. I just put all my books read into an Excel file and sorted - only counting books I've finished and not ones that I started and gave up on (a common reason, along with sweep months on TV, that there's a gap in the dates {g}), there are 233 books on the 2005, 2006 & so far on the 2007 lists.

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find myself going for the kid's books sometimes too. Have you read anything by Eoin Colfer, a writer who lives in Ireland. He's written the Artemis Fowl series. I finished all of them except for his newest one - The Lost Colony, which I'm going to read next. Three of the books are The Arctic Incident, The Opal Deception and The Eternity Code. He has such sweet characters :)

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a