Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Bad, Bad Blogger

It sure seems like I've posted here at least once since January 14th, but I haven't - at least not a regular post though I have updated the book list a couple times. I have been busy.


I've been working on this shawl off and on for a couple weeks. It's similar to the ones I made for K4, but this one is all mine thanks to Sallee sending me the Rainbow Dreams yarn when she decided that she didn't like it.


A slightly wider shot, but at the moment there's no room to spread it out here. Too much junk pulled out in the process of packing. It's a large triangular shawl started at the neck and worked out in triangular sides on size 15 needles, 4 increases every other row. The feather & fan lace gets a little lost in the color variegation's of the yarn, but it will be warm to snuggle with these cold winter nights.


Here are the blue socks I started back in November finished last week. I wasn't quite sure that I had enough yarn to make lengthy cuffs on both so I shorted the first sock only to find as I was completing the second one that there was lots of yarn left. I made that cuff longer and then went back and picked up the stitches of the first one off the cast-off row (tinking back four rows before I was sure that I had all the stitches) and lengthened the cuff to match.


Here's a close up of the lacy ribbing for the cuff. It's a K2tog, YO, K1, YO, SSK repeat on every other row.

And because I can't seem to stay away from the size 2 Harmony double points and soft yarn, here is the next experiment. I'm working this one in KnitPicks Marine Heather Palette. I love the color though I am having a bit of difficulty seeing it when I'm working in the evening. The lace pattern is one repeat of the lace used on the Falling Leaves socks on Knitty, but the sock pattern itself is my own and another experiment. I used a figure 8 cast-on over two circulars, but then worked a 5 row rectangle on the stitches on one side before picking up 2 stitches at each end and the loops on the other circular needle. After that, I increased as usual and started the lace pattern as soon as the toe increases were completed. I'm still no whiz at knitting lace, but I am getting a little better at following charts.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Love the shawl...the colors are just so relaxing. The socks turned out great. The lacy ribbing really looks nice. :)

8:11 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

BWAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
I KNEW you'd love socks! Na-na-na-na-na!
:)
Ok...childish fits aside, the shawl is lovely, glad you could enjoy the yarn...and the socks are great!
Join the Knipicks group on Ravelry and tell them you want BLONDE Harmonys...Kelly is on the group and will listen...we're getting a lot of support for the dark yarns need light needles contingent!
(((hugs)))

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a