Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Catching Up

I haven't been blogging much this week, but I have been working on projects and hanging around over on Plurk..


First up, a rather boring yellow lap robe (wheelchair size) for the hospital. Worked in worsted weight yarn, double crochet with a size K hook.


This lap robe is a "rescue". DH came home from garage sales Thursday morning with several bags of yarn including five 12" granny squares and the start of four more that measured about 6". There wasn't any matching yarn, so I crocheted the four small ones together and then assembled them with the full squares. I added onto the sides with a yarn that came close to the outside rows of the big squares and then worked one row of navy blue shells & a row of single crochet around to finish it off at about 30x38".

These next two are hats I knit to go with crocheted scarves that another member of our K4 group made.




Last weekend, I took a photo of the two skeins of Vinca color 548 yarn that I planned on using for the next pair for Summer of Socks 08. Looking at it in the skein, I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I was pleasantly surprised once the first sock was complete.


The pattern is my standard toe-up with a feather & fan lace design in the leg. Unlike the last pair of F&F socks, I purled the 3rd row of the four row pattern and didn't start the lace until the heel was turned and the gussets shaped. I added a few rows of K2, P2 ribbing at the top before binding off. Now to cast on the second one.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have some of that yarn. How did you like the way it knitted up? What size needles did you use?

12:34 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

I like the way that the colors change slowly. It's very soft and while it tends to split a bit, it's not difficult to work with. I used size 2 Harmony DPs and a variation on a toe-up sock pattern that I designed to fit my foot after the first pair I tried to knit had "ears" sticking out the sides of the toes from every other row increases.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Hmm...that sounds suspiciously like MY standard toe-up Feather & Fan except I don't purl the 3rd row...I DO however start the patterning only on the cuff!
lololol
(And I got mine from Wendy, so who's is it REALLY???)

That's a LOT of knitting and the crochet patchwork is ingenious!
(((hugs)))

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a