Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Community Counts

For the past nine months (almost sounds like I've been having a baby!) I've gotten more involved in my immediate community through our Krazy Kool Knitters & Krocheters (K4) project at the Senior Center. I'll probably never meet the people who ultimately receive the hats, scarves, shawls, & lap-robes that I've been making, but it gives me a good feeling to be doing the work knowing that the items will be put to good use.

I've also come to realize that the community of bloggers on the web means a great deal to me. There's a list of blogs over in the sidebar that I visit fairly frequently. Even with the ones where I've never left a comment, I find that there's almost a "coffee klatch" feeling when the site opens and I get a chance to catch up on the latest projects and life in general. Maybe it's because we're all knitters and/or crocheters, but each of the blogs is a friendly place to hang out for a few minutes a day. Knitting bloggers may be scattered across the country and even the world, but we have a connection.

On the knitting front, I've been busy working on hats for the K4 project. While today is cool - only 72 degrees at the moment - south east Michigan has been having a heat wave along with much of the rest of the country and a hat, unlike an afghan, isn't overwhelming to have on my lap. I've finished eight hats since last Thursday - nothing very photogenic so I'll relieve you of having to look at another picture that would look very much the same as previous ones. With the drop in temperatures, I'm going to go back to working on the second shrug in hopes of finishing it.

3 Comments:

Blogger stricken madchen said...

You worded that so well and I agree with you about knitting blogs. It does feel like a community and a great way to get to know others. ;-)

7:37 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

I certainly agree about the coffee klatch feeling I get reading everyones' blogs... in my ideal world, I would actually sit down with a cup of coffee at the computer first thing in the morning and have a half hour or so just to catch up with everyone and make a post of my own :)

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said, Jane. I brought my iced tea to sit down with you for a few minutes. :)

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a