Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Monday, August 01, 2005

Ratzzen Fratzzen Skeeters!!

Fair warning: RANT in progress!! I hate mosquitoes and the little blood sucking vampires love me as much as I hate them. If there is a mosquito within flying distance when I'm outside it will make a bee line right to me and chomp. I swear that they must view me in much the same way that I view a Dairy Queen Peanut Buster Parfait - yummy!! To make matters worse, I'm fairly allergic to the bites. I can tell almost immediately that I've been bit and the itch goes on for three to four days. We've had a lot of rain recently in southeast Michigan and despite removing everything that might hold water from the yard and changing the birdbath daily, we have a bumper crop of skeeters. They're especially bad out around the garden where we can't use the Cutter spray that helps on the yard & bushes. I tried to pick beans last week after applying a liberal coating of a new non-greasy repellent from Cutter. The skeeters swarmed. I ran for the house and sprayed down with OFF - I did manage to get the grape tomatoes gathered and half the row of beans picked before I accumulated about 8 bites and gave it up. This weekend, after several days of existing in a fog because benadryl is the only thing that will help the itching and it knocks me for a loop, I tried again. This time I donned two pair of jeans, two pair of socks, a long sleeve t-shirt and a sweatshirt over top on the theory that if the extra layers were thicker than the mosquito's proboscis I might be able to thwart them. I pinned a piece of netting to a brimmed hat and gathered it around my neck to keep them away from my eyes, nose & mouth. Suffice it to say that I looked like a total idiot, but, along with the same repellent sprays, it worked. Beans & tomatoes gathered and no bites. Rant over, but I still hate mosquitoes!!

On the knitting front, I've finished the second shrug which, despite being narrower in the sleeves & body, took a little over 8 ounces of yarn. I still need to get a photo of it, preferably from the back. I've finished six hats and now I'm embarked on a design project in partnership with my longtime friend Kim. She explains it on her blog, Knittinology, so I won't repeat it here other than to say that the colors of the yarn are absolutely beautiful. You can see the yarn at Stephanie's The Wool Peddler.

3 Comments:

Blogger Maggie Ann said...

I loathe mosquitoes too. Know just what you mean. I just sewed the shrug from 'Threads' magazine, 2 seams only. What fun. I'll look forward to seeing a picture of your shrug. I'm going to post a pic of mine maybe tomorrow, the camera batteries are recharging.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Jane you sound just like my dear friend Lesley, our two families spend some time together over the Christmas holidays and here in Australia during summer mozzies seem to be in plague proportions. Well anyway she is the one who gets bitten and comes up in these hive like bites and ends up having to go inside while we are all enjoying the great outdoors.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Toni said...

You poor thing! Luckily in Seattle we don't have a lot of mosquitos (because it's too dry in the summer, if you can believe that) but I remember swarms of them from the midwest. nasty, nasty things.

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a