Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

MeMe Redeux

I was just tagged for a MeMe by Shelob at Caution - Blind Driver. It's the same one that our resident felines were tagged for back in August but this time, I'm the one on the hot seat. So, with no further adieu, Six Weird Things About Me

  1. I can knit and/or crochet while I'm reading. I don't think it's particularly weird, but other people seem to. It lets me finish lots of simple projects like the hat & scarf sets and still read several books a week.

  2. I hate wearing shoes! Ok, unlike Shelob, I wear them outside because I don't like bee stings or frostbite, but once I'm in the house they get kicked aside.

  3. When I'm on the computer, I sit sort of side-saddle in my chair with my feet on the desk to the left of the keyboard. This is a hold over from when I had to keep a broken ankle elevated and I discovered that this is an easier way to type.

  4. I love perfume, but rarely wear it out of consideration for those who are bothered by it. I have nine bottles of Masquerade that my sweet husband bought me when it was about to be discontinued. I'm going through it at the rate of about one bottle every four years. At this rate, my daughters may inherit a bottle or two.

  5. I hate, loath & despise spiders!! Yes, I know that they're suppose to be our "friends", but as far as I'm concerned they're for practicing my Mexican Hat Dance on top of.. OLE! My sweetie, on the other hand, will pick them up in a kleenex and take them outside.

  6. Snakes, on the other hand, don't bother me (provided they aren't poisonous). I was the bane of the little boys in my elementary classes because when they tried to scare the girls with garter snakes, I always asked it I could hold them (the snakes, not the yucky boys!). One year at the local fair, I got to hold an albino python. I was much more excited about the opportunity than was my Mom.


Hmmm... That was easier than I expected as I could probably think of a couple other weird things without too much trouble. I'm supposed to tag more victims, but I think I'll leave it up to the reader whether or not they'd like to participate.

On the knitting front, I actually pulled out the sock that I started way last spring and put a few rows in. When I tried it on to see how much further I needed to go before starting the heel, I realized that while the adjustments I made to the toe increases provided a good fit, once the sock is beyond the ball of my foot there's about an extra inch of circumference through the instep. Back to the drawing board and surfing more sock sites to see if I can figure out what to do about it. If I frog & restart, this is will be the third visit to the Lily Pad.. {grumble}

UPDATE: I measured the width of the sock toe and found that it was 5" across or 10" around.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When I measured my foot, it's 8" around the ball and between 8.5 & 8.25 around the instep. No wonder it's coming out too big. To get a 4" width, I have to go clear back to here:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

So that's what I did - back to 50 stitches rather than 72. I'm looking at all those lost stitches and feeling my fingers ache.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

1 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Hooray! You're working on something for you for a change! But...umm...(gently chastising) if you'd kept working on it last spring, you probably wouldn't feel as if it's taken you quite so long to do it, even with 3 froggings! lololol

I suspect you'll have a much better fitting sock - and that's just one big reason to knit socks in the first place! I'm delighted to have socks that FIT ME. With my small feet, I always have a foot length way too long if I buy them!
(((hugs)))

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a