Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Thursday, June 14, 2007

K4, Shawls & Flowers

Our K4 meeting was today. Lots of fun, as usual..


I turned this shawl in at the meeting. It's the feather & fan pattern again but this time without the row that's knit on the wrong side to form a ridge.


In the close up, the left & right slanting decreases can be seen - if I'd used the K2tog six times that's used in the version with ridges (the baby afghan pattern over there under free patterns in the side bar), I don't think this stockinette stitch version would have turned out as nicely as it did.


While I was out on the deck, I took a couple photos of the cabbage roses. I should have done this a couple days ago when they first came out as they're starting to lose petals in the heat we've been having. These roses were on the farm when my parents & grandparents moved there in 1940. In 2002, when Mom & Dad were moving over here, I managed to dig out three little bits of root that have, despite being moved several times, spread.


They're even coming up through the cracks on the deck!


Here is this year's garden. Please ignore the weeds between the tomato plants as I haven't had time to get out there with the hoe. The weed-free aisles between rows are courtesy of our next door neighbor with his smaller rototiller. There are three clumps of basil in front with at least 5 plants in each clump - pesto on the hoof! The rest is taken up by 32 tomato plants - 12 Grape, 4 Early Girl, 4 Big Boy, 4 Super Beefsteak, 4 Goliath & 4 Celebrity. The grape tomatoes are already blooming and everything has had a growth spurt in the heat we've had the last few days following quite a bit of rain.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Lovely shawl pattern...those roses are gorgeous! So full...
And that's a tomato bed. THAT's a TOMATO bed!
Wow.
(((hugs)))

9:01 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Wow what a lovely garden...and I'm in love with those roses! :)

Taking out that wrong side row on the shawl really changes the whole pattern. I just love it! :)

10:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

your shawl is so pretty!

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a