Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Thursday Dreaming

This week's Blogging Through Thursday topic is a good one for dreaming:

"Almost everyone can name at least one author that you would love just ONE more book from. Either because they’re dead, not being published any more, not writing more, not producing new work for whatever reason . . . or they’ve aged and aren’t writing to their old standards any more . . . For whatever reason, there just hasn’t been anything new (or worth reading) of theirs and isn’t likely to be.

If you could have just ONE more book from an author you love . . . a book that would be as good any of their best (while we’re dreaming) . . . something that would round out a series, or finish their last work, or just be something NEW . . . Who would the author be, and why?"


I can think of three authors who have passed away - Ellis Peters (pen name for Edith Pargeter) and her Brother Cadfael mysteries, James Michener with his awesome volumes that combined history & fiction so seamlessly, & Robert Heinlein, the Dean of Science Fiction and author of Stranger In A Strange Land, I Will Fear No Evil, & (my all time favorite) The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress.

I think I've read every book that Heinlein ever wrote (with the exception of Job, A Comedy of Justice which I just couldn't get into despite several attempts) and many of them two, three & even five times.

I've read all the Brother Cadfael books - and enjoyed the episodes for Mystery on PBS with Derek Jacobi as Cadfael. Edith Pargeter also wrote The Heaven Tree Trilogy under her own name which was excellent.

James Michener's books are legendary. My personal favorite is Hawaii which I read (along with Exodus) the week of my high school senior finals. There are still a couple huge volumes on the shelves in the other room that I'm saving - sort of like desert.

So, to chose just one book by one of these authors? That's difficult, but I think I'd have to chose a new Heinlein, maybe a follow up the TMIAHM.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger teabird said...

I've just started the Brother Cadafel novels - I know I'll feel bereft when I've read them all.

3:47 PM  
Blogger raidergirl3 said...

Oh yes. Brother Cadfael is a wonderful read. "ten of one, half a score of another." Brilliant books.

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Bloody Field By Shrewsbury, and the Brothers of Gwynedd Quartet were excellent, too - the latter series was what got me into the history of the end of Wales' sovereignty.

Hey, thanks for the nice comment - yeah, goats are awesome, though I'm about to (gasp) worm 'em today - yuck. Gotta be done, though.

Happy knitting and reading!

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a