Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Friday, February 08, 2008

A'designing We Do Go...


Doesn't everyone sketch their sweater designs on USNews subscription pull-out cards?? It was the only thing handy when I started thinking what I wanted DGD's sweater to look like. The notebook page is the rough draft of what I'm doing to turn the sketch into a pattern. You'll notice many scratched out numbers.


I'm starting this sweater out in a different way than I've ever tried before. First I crocheted a long chain in dishcloth cotton having learned from the toddler sweater last month that Knit-Cro-Sheen wasn't heavy enough to control the picked up provisional stitches. From there I picked up enough stitches to form both sleeves & the back yoke which will be knitted up & over the shoulders. The pink is the cotton that will go away once I pick up the stitches; the sweater will be light blue as the main color & colonial blue for the small fair isle design that will run across the shoulder & down the sleeve.


Here's a closer look at the very simple 6 row fair isle. I'll reverse it on the other side of the neck so that all the "leaves" will point toward the wrist. I'm just starting to shape the neck. After a few more increases, I'll use another provisional for the front of the neck and then work the front yoke to an equal depth with the back. It's going to have a Henley style neckline. Once the yokes are completed, I'll use a 3 needle bind-off for the sleeve seam and then knit the rest in the round from the yoke down. I'm hoping that it all turns out the first try, but if not, I've had a lot of practice visiting the Frog Pond. {g}

3 Comments:

Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

What a beautiful pattern! :)

10:01 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Looks GREAT so far!
(((hugs)))

7:52 PM  
Blogger Geraldine said...

I am just FINALLY getting started on a Fair Isle project, never tried one before and I've been knitting for a gazillion years! Looks like you are doing a great job with yours!

COngrats on your kitchen, enjoy, my fav room!!!

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a