Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Books

As I mentioned in the last post, I read a lot. We visit the local library at least every two weeks and often every week. I've calculated that I probably recoup my entire property tax bill in books that I read but didn't have to buy. Even paperbacks are in the $7 range these days (I remember buying them for less than 50ยข - does that date me or not? {g}), so I don't buy too many books except at garage sales and the Friends of the Library used book sale.

One nice thing about library books is that if they aren't enjoyable, I can put them aside and go on to another one without guilt - something I could never do when I was buying books - plus we have literally run out of room to store more books. The shelves in the "library" (actually the smallest bedroom & DH's computer room) are crammed full and there are stacks on the floor. Every horizontal surface in this room (my computer & craft room) is covered with books - ditto the family room, the living room, our bedroom and even the stairs. Suffice it to say that we are a family of readers!

Recently, I haven't had a lot of luck picking out good books and the majority have been going back to the library after a few chapters - or I discover that I've previously read the good ones. From a count of the books over in the sidebar it seems that I've read 72 of them since the beginning of the year, so no wonder it's sometimes hard to keep track. I came home with five more this morning - all political fiction as that seems to be what I've been in the mood for recently - and I'm hoping that I can get back on track to reading a couple books a week rather than my rather wimpy record over the past month. After all, I have a lot of knitting to finish. More on that subject later.....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jane, you're describing our house! Books, books, everywhere. We love them. Like you, I go to the library, mostly for fiction and book tapes. Even so, Amazon gets lots of our $$$.

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a