Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Multi-tasking...

Because I like to read and I like to knit, I taught myself years ago to do them both at once. When I tell people that I do, I get a lot of questions, but the main one is "how do you hold your book and your needles at the same time?" Quite simply, I don't. I use a clothes pin like clip to hold the book open and prop it up on my knees. I started out using a regular wooden clip clothes pin - I even decorated them at one time. Then I discovered the so-called Italian plastic coated wire clips and that they held better and didn't tend to separate when I clipped too many pages together like the wooden ones.



The one on the right is one of the wire clips. The one on the left is a new type I discovered at the local hardware store this last spring (6 for $1) and it seems to work even better than the other two types and opens wider to hold more pages in place. I put the clip on the left pages, first clipping them to the cover of the book and then on a thick book just to already read pages and relying on the weight of the clip to hold the book open.



Once you get used to the motion, it's easy to hold both needles mid-stitch in the left hand, use the right hand to flip the page, open the clip and put it back on. I honestly don't even think about it while I'm doing it any more.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I confess that when I read and knit, I bend the binding way back so the book will lie flat. Your way is much kinder.

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Genius!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

I have been following your description of reading and knitting with interest, and can't figure out if you knit continental or english style... think it makes a difference?

11:32 PM  
Blogger Tori said...

Wow! Cool! I'll have to try....I can just hear the ribbing I'll receive from my hubby when he sees me trying this.....As far as reading and doing other things, I've seen someone reading in a car (While Driving!). A young girl down the street used to walk her dog and read at the same time, this seems a much safer thing to try!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

Hey, I also read and knit at the same time, but I am careless and I just use my cell phone or any other similar object to flatten the pages. Your method is better

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a