Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Washcloths, Rag-Tags & Short Row Heels


I didn't feel like knitting anything serious this week so I worked on the epitome of mindless knitting - garter stitch washcloths for our Cloths For Crisis group. I finished nine of them since last Thursday and have another one on the needles.



For "TV Time" - Dr. Who & Little Mosque on the Prairie on CBC; Ballykissangel, History Detectives & Nature on PBS - I worked on the latest rag-tag afghan and finished it. I have about 8" done on another one. After all the afghans I've made, I still enjoy playing with the colors.

My BIG accomplishment of the week was finally sitting down last night and trying one more method of working short rows for a sock heel. This is sort of my own method dreamed up one night when I couldn't sleep and started thinking of ways to do short rows without having holes. The sample looks good, but the acid test will be the sock itself. I picked it up again last night and started working toward the point where I'll start the heel.


The sides don't look identical - probably because I'm knitting together on one side & purling on the other, but it seems to be working!



I hope it does work because I picked up another skein of sock yarn at a garage sale a couple weeks ago and I don't want to feel as guilty about that purchase as I have about the current socks being on the needles for well over a year. After several tries, I found a toe-up start method that works for me, but have been stymied by all the practice short row heels I've sampled looking messy until now.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

You perfectionist you!
(((hugs)))

3:42 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Glad you found something that worked for you. :)

Your charity items are all so lovely! :)

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a