Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Sunday, June 24, 2007

A Well Turned Heel & Other Goodies


I did it!! I turned the sock heel!! After almost a year of hemming and hawing, I got up my nerve and did it in less than an hour!


So I finally have a sock on the foot photo like so many other bloggers.. Doesn't it fit nicely? If you remember way back, the first attempt was too wide and I frogged back and reworked the toe to a narrower size with a more gradual increase rate. It seems to have worked. There are only 52 stitches around the foot - this is with Sassy Stripes and size 3 needles. I'm working the leg in a K2,P1 rib. I'm not sure if sock knitting will ever be something I love to do - the small needles are hard on my hands - but it feels good to finally accomplish something.


It's a little difficult to get a good photo at this angle but you can see that the heel fits and there is only one tiny loose stitch at the spot where I joined the heel stitches to the instep stitches - and there are NO HOLES where the short rows terminate. I'm so proud of myself {g}...

On to other goodies, it was a good week for garage sales & finding yarn..


This bag with a new 8 oz. skein of worsted weight, an almost new (after I frogged the original project) 6 oz. skein of variegated and a skein of fluffy yarn that I probably won't use came with all the tools you see here - 2 CroHooks, a set of size 8 DP needles, a size G crochet hook and a tool for measuring gauge & sizing needles - all for $1.


I still need to frog the afghan, but I think I'll have at least 3 and maybe 4 skeins of variegated when I do - for 75¢..


And for 50¢, I found 2½ skeins of Sugar & Cream cotton yarn to use for Cloths For Crisis. Doesn't that pattern look a lot like the Ball-Band one in Mason-Dixon Knits?

There are 4 other skeins that I didn't photograph - two different variegateds in worsted weight and two skeins of bright red sport yarn for 25¢ each. A very GOOD week!!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Beautiful heel! Such a pretty colorway! :)

What great finds! ...love that veriegated!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

WHOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!
I knew you could do it if you'd just take the plunge!
lol
Great haul...
(((hugs)))

11:06 AM  
Blogger Mei said...

That heel looks great! Congratulations!

9:42 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

Great job on your socks! I really have to try them, yet. Seems scary to me though. (((Wimp)))

Lucky Lady on the great garage sale finds!!! I never think to look for yarn when I go...

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a