Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Saturday, July 07, 2007

The Nameless Post

For some reason, Blogger isn't letting me enter a title up there, so this shall be known as "The Nameless Post".. I have a few FOs to show off, all made for the K4 project at the Senior Center.


First another rag-tag afghan. I know, you're probably getting tired of looking at a seemingly endless series of these, but I still have a lot of yarn scraps to use up. {g} This is another fairly good sized one, but one organization is requesting smaller ones, 30"x36" for wheelchair users, so after the one that I started the night I finished this one is complete, I'll try for some of that size.


It's almost hat season again and given summer's heat, I only work on afghans down in the lower level family room where it's cooler. That makes it perfect for hats & more washcloths as projects. This one is an adaption of a pattern for a child's hat that Gloria, one of my knitting students, brought in. It's knit in the round on size 10½s in worsted weight. The original pattern called for smaller yarn, smaller needles & more stitches, but this version is faster, a bit thicker and looks as good. You'll notice 1) the very neat pompom on top that Gloria made for me & 2) my favorite hat model.


This is an adaption of another pattern in Gloria's book, again on 10½ needles and worsted weight instead of 8s & sport weight. I think a tam in this soft peach yarn will look darling on little girl whether she's blond or brunette.


A view of the top - pompom by me, you'll notice that it's not nearly as neat as Gloria's version! - showing one of the main adaptions I made to the pattern. The original had all the decreases as K2 tog every other row which forms a spiral on the top. Instead, I did a two stitch center decrease every 4th row which made the hat a bit of an octagon and carried the decrease lines straight in from the eyelet edge to the center of the hat. On the increase section between the ribbing & eyelet and the upper eyelet, I increase 1 stitch on either side of every 8th stitch every 4th row.

I have one other hat of the first style completed - no photo as Gloria took it with her to make a pompom - in white & bright red and one on the needles in white with cranberry ridges and a blue & cranberry variegated for the nubbins.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

I'm sure the senoir center appreciates all you do for them. Your hat model is so very cooperative!!!!

3:52 PM  
Blogger kat said...

great colors in that afgan

12:03 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Such cute hats! It is always a pleasure to see your rag-tags...they always have such lovely color combos. :)

2:07 PM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Darling hats (and model) and love the colors in that rag tag...
Stay cool!
(((hugs)))

10:09 AM  
Blogger ♥ KNITTING ART said...

Hi, I liked your favorites.
Hope to see and hear you again...

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a