Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Weeks That I Wish Weren't

It's been a while hasn't it? On July 17th, I went over to my Mother's around 1:30 in the afternoon to take her mail in and check on her. I found her on the floor in a lot of pain and called 911. In emergency, we were told that she had broken her elbow and fractured her pelvis in two places. Between the pain and her memory problems, she panicked that night after we left and tried to get out of the bed and pull out the IVs. When I came in the next morning, they had her uninjured arm tied down and she was in a full blown anxiety attack. So, I basically moved into the hospital and spent the next week sleeping in a recliner near her bed so I could reassure her when she woke up and didn't know where she was. On the following Wednesday, she was moved to a nursing center that fortunately is just three minutes from our house and has been there since. Hopefully, as the bones heal a little and she gains strength and recovers from the memory problems caused by anesthesia from the surgery on her elbow, I'll be able to get her home and take care of her there where she'll be more comfortable, but right now we're in a holding pattern where I spend a good part of the day at the nursing center.

At least, when I was at the hospital, I was able to knit.



These are like the fun fur hat that I posted earlier this month. I was working with the other skein of cream fun fur and from the comments I was getting from nurses, aides and other women working on the floor, these should be good sellers at Barn Days in October.



A couple more fun fur hats with Rainbow Dreams in Rosy Forecast for the crowns along with three hats in white with Rainbow Dreams Jetstream colorway that I made when I ran out of fun fur in my bag. I also have one afghan that I need to photograph done and another just a few rows from completion.

Once Mom is released from the nursing center, I'll move over to her house to take care of her. I'm hoping to be able to get a DSL connection over there so I'm not cut off from the internet and all my friends, but until that happens, I'll be posting sporadically.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jane, sorry to hear about all this. I know how frightening and frustrating it is. Your mom is lucky to have you right there. I'm rooting for a good recovery.

3:22 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Now might be the time to get that DSL installed...
Before Mom gets home, ya know?
Hang in there!
(((hugs)))

2:39 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Oh Jane, what a horrible thing to go through. My prayers and thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

Your Mom is lucky to have you for a daughter. :)

11:52 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

So sorry to hear about your mom. Don't forget that while you are taking such great care of your mom to take a few moments for yourself.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

I hope your mom is getting better. I know it's been a rough road. She is blessed to have you!

10:17 AM  
Blogger kat said...

So sorry to hear about your Mom. Hope she is better soon. Dealing with aging parents is something that none of us look forward too.

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a